[emms-help] EMMS to control vlc for *.avi movies?

From: Alan E. Davis
Subject: [emms-help] EMMS to control vlc for *.avi movies?
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:51:48 +1000

For making notes of av materials, I would like to try (with my weak elisp knowledge) to knit together emms with org-mode.  Most of these materials are available as *.avi files.  I am using GNU/Linux Ubuntu, and I have cloned the git repo for emms.

I am not a developer, but I did notice that an interface for vlc has been devised.  I would like to be able to control the video, perhaps including a timer interface through org-mode, so I can pause, make a note with a time stamp, then resume.

I am now only asking whether I am dreaming, or is it indeed a feature that would be possible?

WOuld it be possible to access a running vlc?

I noticed a question on the mailing list about subtitles.  Vlc works very well with subtitles.

I am not too good at elisp, but I notice there is a vlc api, and I am foolish enough to look at it.  Even better, if someone has already done part of the work.

Thank you,

Alan

--
Alan Davis

"It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
      ---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man