Re: [emms-help] EMMS to control vlc for *.avi movies?

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [emms-help] EMMS to control vlc for *.avi movies?
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 08:10:32 +0200

Alan E. Davis writes:

> For making notes of av materials, I would like to try (with my weak elisp
> knowledge) to knit together emms with org-mode.  Most of these materials are
> available as *.avi files.  I am using GNU/Linux Ubuntu, and I have cloned
> the git repo for emms.
>
> I am not a developer, but I did notice that an interface for vlc has been
> devised.  I would like to be able to control the video, perhaps including a
> timer interface through org-mode, so I can pause, make a note with a time
> stamp, then resume.

emms has emms-bookmarks.el to insert "temporal bookmarks" into media
files. You can already add and navigate around bookmarks in videos (just
tried it and it works with the VLC backend).

> I am now only asking whether I am dreaming, or is it indeed a feature that
> would be possible?

Doesn't sound too hard to do.

> WOuld it be possible to access a running vlc?

This is exactly how pausing and moving around works. We pass commands to
VLC's "rc" interface while the media is playing.

Note though that none of this should be VLC specific; Emms' "pause"
command will pause whichever backend is running equally as well.

If you want org integration you will probably want to learn some Emacs
lisp (Emms is a very friendly project to learn Emacs lisp), or get an
Emms developer who uses org to do it for you.

You could create a git branch with emms-org-mode.el and tie together
stuff from emms-bookmarks.el. I have no doubt that you will end up
unearthing, and needing to fix countless bugs along the way (which is a
good thing).