[emms-help] playing non playlist streams with mplayer

From: Jan Doms
Subject: [emms-help] playing non playlist streams with mplayer
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 14:35:41 +0100

Hello everyone,

I've just started using / trying out emms today, and wanted to use it to listen to http://mp3.streampower.be/klaracontinuo-mid.mp3 by playing it with emms-play-url. However in my setup that didn't work, while other live streams gave no problems.
I noticed emms called mplayer with a -playlist flag, a quick test on the commandline with mplayer showed me mplayer could play the stream if just invoked with mplayer http://...; however when I added the -playlist flag it didn't work.
A quick grep through the source shows it passes along the -playlist argument in lisp/emms-player-mplayer.el#46. Apparently opening an url is automatically interpreted by emms as a streamlist, while I expected it to just be something of type url.
Anyway after some messing around I've made a small fix available on https://github.com/domsj/emms . It might not be fixed entirely the way you want it but it sure works for me.

Enjoy,

Jan