Re: [emms-help] [patch, *WIP*] add as next track to play

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [emms-help] [patch, *WIP*] add as next track to play
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 22:07:29 -0400

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> [I wanted to sent this message to the .patch ML, but I got a message
>  from gmane about needing to sign-up for the list above-and-beyond the
>  "normal" gmane requirement (proving one have access to the email one
>  is sending from). . .  I'll thus stick with this list].
>
> Often I get the urge to hear a certain track as next track (cause I
> never want to interrupt the current song).  EMMS-browser currently
> does not support this and I think it's an important function.
>
> However, the patch is pretty naïve about how it inserts stuff in terms
> of the looks.  Basically it does not care about its surroundings.  I
> have attached a screenshot of the patch in action.  Maggie Björklund
> and Pink Floyd have been inserted using
> `emms-browser-add-track-as-next-track' in the patch.
>
> I think maybe the naïve way is OK for single tracks, since indention
> is different, but it's a bit confusing when Led Zep starts playing
> again towards the end of the screenshot.  Perhaps the led Zep header
> should be inserted again?
>
> WDYT?

(I don't use emms-browser at all, so I'm probably not the best person to
ask.)

There is a fundamental tension here: On one hand you want to preserve
the album format which the Browser added to the playlist, with its
headers and whatnot; this is a visual thing. But on the other hand, you
want to change the order in which the songs are played, either a bit, or
a lot; this is a logical thing. The problem being that the logical
change will break the visual because it is done in the playlist, and the
playlist is logical by nature.

The playlist is meant to be mailable; it doesn't make any sense to play
the tracks in the playlist in any other order than the one they are
displayed.

Therefore I think that you should work on getting the visuals not to
break. Add the headers, indent or do whatever makes sense to you so that
the playlist can keep working as designed and not look broken.