Re: Using beets.io search results as emms playlist

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: Using beets.io search results as emms playlist
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 18:12:56 +0500

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 12:01:17 +0100
Garjola Dindi <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently started using Beets (http://beets.io/) to manage my
> music library. It is a great tool to curate and search a large music
> library and has the ability to generate playlists.
>
> I was wondering if anybody here is also using it and would have some
> tips on how to couple it with emms.

I had this script for a while, though rarely use it:
https://github.com/mk-fg/fgtk/blob/master/desktop/emms_beets_enqueue

It basically does:

  beet ls -f '$path' ... |
  xargs -n1 -d'\n' -I'{}' emacsclient -e '(emms-add-file "{}")'

Where "..." are the arguments passed to it, in beets querying language
( https://beets.readthedocs.io/en/stable/reference/query.html ).

You can probably replace it with much simplier shell script that runs
above command with "$@" (arguments passed to it), if you have something
like:

  replace:
    '"': '-'

...in ~/.config/beets/config.yaml (to replace " in filenames with -).

Though I found myself pretty much never using it over the years, as
beets does very good job of organizing imported music into directories,
so that it's easy to find anything there for me without db queries.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net