Re: Why EMMS is not in GNU ELPA?

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: Why EMMS is not in GNU ELPA?
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2020 14:29:09 -0400

Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello fellow EMMS users and developers,
>
> Being EMMS an official GNU package, why isn’t it in GNU ELPA?[1]
>
> I found a discussion on emacs-devel[2] (dating from 2013) regarding an
> initiative to include it there, but perhaps it was not pursued further?
>

> Footnotes:
> [1]  https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/
>
> [2]
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-06/msg01210.html

There is no reason in principle why Emms could not be in ELPA. I've
personally never used ELPA and don't understand the point of it. But if
people want Emms in ELPA we'll do it.

One issue would be to figure out how to ship the src/ directory with the
non-elisp parts and how to get those compiled. Does anyone, preferably
someone who uses and/or knows about ELPA, want to tackle this issue and
report back on how other packages do it, and how Emms might do the same?

P.S. In the meantime, I've been asked to make an elisp package I wrote
(rt-liberation) a GNU project and add that to ELPA. When I finish that
process I'll know a bit more about what's involved.