Re: Why EMMS is not in GNU ELPA?

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: Re: Why EMMS is not in GNU ELPA?
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 13:25:49 -0300

Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:

> I've personally never used ELPA and don't understand the point of it.

Why do you say that you “don't understand the point of it”?

> One issue would be to figure out how to ship the src/ directory with
> the non-elisp parts and how to get those compiled.

How these work?  I presume they are compiled and used as sub-processes.
Would not the new modules[1] support be more appropriate here?  Indeed,
we’d have to figure out how those architecture-dependent parts are
supposed to get distributed.  I think packages that use them have a
compilation script written in Lisp that is triggered on-demand in the
first use.

Footnotes:
[1]  (info "(elisp) Writing Dynamic Modules")

--
Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
<http://oitofelix.freeshell.org/>