Re: No sound if emms-play-dired is run while another track is paused

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: No sound if emms-play-dired is run while another track is paused
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 19:05:16 +0500

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 08:58:13 -0400
Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> wrote:

> Greg Farough <gregf@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I've recently run into a problem of a paused audio track getting
> > "stuck" until all mpv processes are killed, and am unsure if it's a
> > problem with mpv or EMMS. I'm using mpv 0.29.1 and EMMS 7.3.
> > (emms-player-mpv) is the only one in emms-player-list.
> >
> > Steps to replicate:
> >
> > * Play track or directory with 'emms-play-dired (via emms-player-mpv)
> >
> > * Pause the track with 'emms-pause
> >
> > * Try to play another track or directory with 'emms-play-dired
> >   (replacing the old playlist)
> >
> > * The track will show that it's playing, but there will be no sound
> >   on this track or any other until mpv is killed outside of Emacs.
> >
> > I know for a fact that this used to work in the past, as I've been
> > playing music exclusively through EMMS for several years now.
>
> I've definitely had this happen to me in the past, but I didn't track it
> down. Perhaps now is the time.

Hm, yeah, I can reproduce it by pausing mpv and switching to a track in
another playlist.

Looks like mpv switches it while remaining in the paused state, which
can be checked by something like:

  (emms-player-mpv-cmd '(get_property pause)
    (lambda (v err) (message "paused = %s" v))

(will print "paused = t" after such switch, and pause/unpause fixes it)

Might be a change in mpv where earlier versions always discarded pause
state on changing tracks, but should probably be easy to fix by sending
explicit '(set_property pause :json-false).

Though not entirely sure if maybe it always worked like this.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net