Re: EMMS doesn't scrobble tracks to libre.fm, despite handshake reportin

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: EMMS doesn't scrobble tracks to libre.fm, despite handshake reporting good
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 11:01:30 -0400

"Nathan R. DeGruchy" <nathan@degruchy.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using EMMS 12 from ELPA on Emacs 28.2.50, when I configure it to
> scrobble tracks to libre.fm, it handshakes with turtle.libre.fm and
> says that it was successful, but does not actually scrobble the
> tracks. I know that my account works because I can log into it and
> have configured it in other players, like Clementine and Strawberry.
>
> My configuration looks like this:
> https://github.com/ndegruchy/emacs.d/blob/10b7fc7d45c024081f3845c1978293d9d6e414c2/settings.d/external-packages.el#L47-L99
>
> Any ideas? I asked on IRC, but it seems like the libre.fm feature is not
> often used.

Thank you for reporting this.

It is working fine for me here on Emacs 28.2 and the latest Emms. I'm
wondering if there is a simpler explanation for this issue.

Can you please set the variables `emms-librefm-scrobbler-username', and
`emms-librefm-scrobbler-password' to an empty string ("") and then
configure your ~/.authinfo (or an other file understood by auth-source)
to house your username and password? This is the recommended way of
doing so (as per the Fine Manual).

Then make sure that you have a successful handshake.

Finally, play a track that is at least 30 seconds long, and also that is
either 4 minutes long or that you have played at least half of the track
(https://www.last.fm/api/scrobbling#when-is-a-scrobble-a-scrobble). You
should then get a short message saying that the track had been
"scrobbled".

If it is still not working, please report back and we'll enable some
debug info.