enigma-devel

Re: [Enigma-devel] CVS update and mouse controls

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] CVS update and mouse controls
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 00:26:19 +0100

Jeremy Sawicki wrote:

> I've found the mouse controls somewhat awkward in enigma in comparison
> with oxyd, but I could never say exactly how.  I spent some time with
> it today, and I now think the biggest problem is with friction.
> Specifically, the friction should be (more or less) proportional to
> the speed of the marble.

You're right, friction is the main issue.  But making the force
proportional to the speed of the marble isn't perfect either (at least
in my opinion).  I did a few experiments and found a v^0.8 dependence to
be a fairly good compromise--the changes are in CVS, in case anyone
wants to give them a try.

Another problem was that the marble used to be pretty unresponsive.
Don't ask me why I ever thought that limiting the maximum force the
mouse could exert should be limited...

I think the marble moves a lot better now than it used to, but it's
probably still room for improvement.  Tell me what you think.

Thanks,
Daniel

--
Daniel Heck                             address@hidden