enigma-devel

Re: [Enigma-devel] Maemo Port for Nokia Internet Tablets

From: Pipeline
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Maemo Port for Nokia Internet Tablets
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:21:11 -0500

Regarding the touchscreen use: Wouldn't it make sense to allow touching of the
collected items on screen? This isn't useful with the mouse as a visible
mouse cursor is impossible.

From a users perspective it would be nice option, but not necessary. From a
personal preference, i'm fine with button input, and from developer perspective i'd rather not deal with that :) I would imagine for tilt users it would be more fun to be able to completely play without a stylus although possibly you are encountering disruption in ballance by doing that ? :) Tap into the photocell so you can just wave your hand over device to cycle :) To be serious, though... do you need any type of toggle button to temporarily disable tilt input? I suppose escape can be used to pause game but are there times you would want to study the level without tilt input?

I would have minimal time for development although it would be nice to get an 800x480 resolution working with inset 640x480 gameplay. I will try to revisit and see if i can find a good solution with minimal code changes. Perhaps it would be simpler to run 640x480 for all areas except gameplay where if its maemo we will change into 800x480. Either way, I will experiment with this, and if i come up with anything I will pass along.

Also, barely worth mentioning, I'm thinking the buttons might be more intuitive to change left/right dpad to cycle inventory with up/down to adjust ball speed. This breaks with enigma keycode conventions, but with minimal code impact if using macros.

Dave-

But the touchscreen doesn't need a visual representation (i indeed disable the mouse graphics in the maemo port) and the touchscreen would just work fine in
the lower area of the screen. Any objectives? I would then even remove
all "rotate item" calls as they aren't needed?

Or is there some kind of level that makes funny use of the fact that you have
to sort/rotate the items before use? And the possibility to directly touch
the items would spoil the fun? Some new functionality would be required for
this as currently an item cannot be picked from other than the first
position.

Is there any reason not to do such a change? I think it would make this part
more intuitive than it's now.

Till