erw-devel

Re: [Erw-devel] Question about modifying underlying database

From: erw-devel
Subject: Re: [Erw-devel] Question about modifying underlying database
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:46:35 +0200

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 00:23 -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> I am looking to convert one of the tables generated by ERW
> to use auto IDs rather than bother with locking ... this is
> for a support script I am writing.
>
> alter table XXX  modify column id integer auto_increment;
>
> (Table in question is a rel table in case it matters).
>
> Will this have an adverse affect on the ERW runtime?

Well, it won't, as the ids are set manually. But I'm absolutely sure
that *not locking* the table might cause problems. Once you have created
the new element, it will be in an incoherent state for a while, unless
you are so good to create it in a coherent state in a single statement.
If this is the case, however, not locking is OK.

Ciao,

                                        seba