espressomd-users

Re: Transparent particles

From: Jean-Noël Grad
Subject: Re: Transparent particles
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:00:07 +0100

Hi,

Making the particle transparent is the right approach. The ESPResSo visualizer isn't very good at handling the transparency of overlapping particles, though. I would recommend using a third-party visualizer to achieve the desired effect. You could also change the length of the dipole with argument `director_arrows_type_scale=[16]`, if that helps.

I tried playing around with depth calculation in OpenGL to draw particles in the scene in the order of their insertion in the system by removing the `OpenGL.GLUT.GLUT_DEPTH` flag in `src/python/espressomd/visualization.py`. This way, if the magnetic particle is inserted last, its dipole is always be visible regardless of the camera orientation. But the result is visually unappealing, and for some OpenGL versions it doesn't even work.

Best,
JN