espressomd-users

Notes on installing Boost 1.84

From: Jean-Noël Grad
Subject: Notes on installing Boost 1.84
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 18:42:15 +0100

Dear users,

It has been brought to our attention by openSUSE maintainers that ESPResSo did not properly manage the lifetime of the MPI environment, which leads to random fatal crashes at normal program termination.

The lifetime of MPI global variables has changed in Boost 1.84, and we are now observing these random crashes very frequently in ESPResSo. All ESPResSo releases since 4.0.0 are affected. The bug has been fixed in the python branch and will be backported to the upcoming 4.2.2 release of ESPResSo. Users of older releases of ESPResSo will have to either migrate to 4.2.2, or use containers like Singularity or Docker to build and run ESPResSo with an older Boost release.

Boost 1.84 is progressively being deployed to major Linux distributions, and is already available to Homebrew users on macOS, where it cannot be rolled back to an earlier release due to how the boost-mpi recipe is designed.

Best regards,
Jean-Noël Grad