fab-user

[Fab-user] @hosts decorator fails in python interactive session?

From: Matthew Wilson
Subject: [Fab-user] @hosts decorator fails in python interactive session?
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 14:56:44 -0400

I'm likely doing something wrong, but I can't get the hosts decorator
to behave when I use it from within an interactive session:

    >>> @hosts('jaffa.tplus1.com', 'daffodil.tplus1.com')
    ... def hostname():
    ...     run('hostname')
    >>> hostname.hosts
    ['jaffa.tplus1.com', 'daffodil.tplus1.com']
    >>> hostname()
    No hosts found. Please specify (single) host string for connection:

I can put all that same code into a fabfile.py and all is well:

    $ cat fabfile.py
    # vim: set expandtab ts=4 sw=4 filetype=python:

    from fabric.api import hosts, run

    @hosts('jaffa.tplus1.com', 'daffodil.tplus1.com')
    def hostname():
        run('hostname')

    $ fab hostname
    [daffodil.tplus1.com] run: hostname
    [daffodil.tplus1.com] out: daffodil
    [jaffa.tplus1.com] run: hostname
    [jaffa.tplus1.com] out: jaffa.tplus1.com

    Done.
    Disconnecting from daffodil.tplus1.com... done.
    Disconnecting from jaffa.tplus1.com... done.

--
Matthew Wilson
address@hidden