fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] csh options to behave like 'bash -l -c'

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] csh options to behave like 'bash -l -c'
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:41:46 -0400

Hi Sergi,

The two options we pass to "bash" are -l, which just means "be a login
shell", and -c, which is only there so that we can pass the actual
command string to it (i.e. "bash <my command>" is not possible, so we
have to do "bash -c <my command>" instead).

I'm not sure what version of csh you're using, but both in (t)csh (on
a Mac) and regular csh (on Ubuntu) I'm seeing the -l and -c options
and they appear to have the same meaning as in bash.

While Fabric is written and tested mostly against bash, I don't see
any reason offhand why it should not work in csh, as long as those
options are present. If FreeBSD's csh is missing those options, you'll
want to read more into its manpage to see what might be even roughly
analogous (i.e. if you can even just call csh as "csh <my command>",
that might still work) or ask the FreeBSD folks for help.

If anyone else on the list is a FBSD/csh user they may also be able to
help; unfortunately I'm a bash person so this is as far as I can go :)

Best of luck,
Jeff