fab-user

[Fab-user] Controlling Windows box

From: Jan Vlčinský
Subject: [Fab-user] Controlling Windows box
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 23:45:59 +0200

Hi
fab tool really got me, managing Linux boxes and performing some local tasks is becoming fun, really.
I am thinking to extend my use from managing Linux boxes to Windows ones (sometime I have no other choice) and wonder, if anyone really uses fabric to control Windows machine and what is the best practise.

What I already did:
(note, I do not have cygwin installed)

without specifying shell, I get Fatal error

D:\dev\test_project\src\fabfile4win>fab  mydir
address@hidden Executing task 'mydir'
address@hidden run: dir
address@hidden Login password:
address@hidden out: Unable to execute command or shell on remote system: Failed to Execute process.
address@hidden out:

Fatal error: run() encountered an error (return code 4294967295) while executing 'dir'

Aborting.
Disconnecting from stolistek... done.

D:\dev\test_project\src\fabfile4win>

shell set to C:/WINDOWS/system32/cmd.exe does not change anything

D:\dev\test_project\src\fabfile4win>fab -s C:/WINDOWS/system32/cmd.exe mydir

shell set to cmd.exe moves a bit on but not much

D:\dev\test_project\src\fabfile4win>fab -s cmd.exe mydir
address@hidden Executing task 'mydir'
address@hidden run: dir
address@hidden Login password:
address@hidden out: Microsoft Windows XP [Verze 5.1.2600]
address@hidden out: (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
address@hidden out:
address@hidden out: C:\Documents and Settings\javl\Plocha>

the fab task hangs here and must be cancelled

And so on, no big progress seen. Any advise appreciated. Even such as "do not try this".

With best regards

Jan Vlčinský