fab-user

[Fab-user] pty and password echoing

From: Roy Smith
Subject: [Fab-user] pty and password echoing
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:36:38 -0400

I'm trying to understand how pty=False affects password echoing.  In http://docs.fabfile.org/en/1.4.0/usage/interactivity.html#pseudottys, it says,

"Unfortunately, in the context of executing commands via Fabric, when no pty is present to echo a user’s stdin, Fabric must echo it for them. This is sufficient for many applications, but it presents problems for password prompts, which become insecure."

but this doesn't seem to be the case.  I've got a task:

@task
def reload():
    sudo("service gunicorn restart", pty=False)
    sudo("service nginx reload", pty=False)

when it runs, it prompts me for my password, but doesn't echo it.  That seems at odds with the docs.  I'm happy that it doesn't echo, but confused as to exactly what's going on.

I'm running fabric 1.4, Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS, python 2.6.

---
Roy Smith