fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Launch many parallel tasks against a single (local) host

From: Tyler Pirtle
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Launch many parallel tasks against a single (local) host
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:57:29 -0700

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Morgan Goose <address@hidden> wrote:
What is it you even mean by staging? You might be over looking GNU
commands that will do exactly what you need. If you give us some more
information, we might be able to assist.

-goose

Hi goose - let me try and clarify.

My use case is something like invoking a function over one host many times with
different argument values (Or many hosts with many values for extra credit).

So I've got some function i want to execute on localhost,

def foo(i): ...

What I'd like to do is imap(foo, xrange(1, 10)) in parallel.

The execute() function doesn't give me a way to express this (the way I've done this below is to generate fake host lists). The host list seems to be the unit controlling the parallelism, I'd like to be able to control it via input arguments
as well.

To illustrate:

(with env.parallel = True)
hosts = ["localhost", "localhost", "localhost"]
execute(foo, hosts, ... )

Would execute "foo" 3 times in parallel (except it wouldnt because host lists are uniq'd)

What I'm looking for:

hosts = ["localhost"]
input = xrange(10)
execute(foo, hosts, input)

Should be equivalent to imap(foo, input) over hosts.