fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Launch many parallel tasks against a single (local) host

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Launch many parallel tasks against a single (local) host
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:11:59 -0700

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Morgan Goose <address@hidden> wrote:
> Nah, Fabric's meant to make remote stuff easier.

This is currently true -- Fabric's normal use case is focused on the
remote end, and few users have had the "do something in parallel
locally too" need. So the internal assumption giving you trouble --
tasks will only need to run once per host -- has historically been
fine.

That said, Tyler is not the first person to ask for it, and I would
not be surprised if Invoke (the new task runner coming out of Fabric)
gains the ability to multiprocess or thread local tasks. Then, if we
put things together right, Fabric 2 (built on Invoke) would be
compatible with that, so you could natively run a task X times in
parallel locally. That task would then be able to use Fabric API calls
without issue.

That doesn't help you (Tyler) today, but I just wanted to say it's not
off the table for the future.

Thanks,
Jeff

--