fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] remote host output encoding

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] remote host output encoding
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 20:30:22 -0700

Hi,

I've been searching for information on character encoding and fabric but coming up empty. I've got a command printing an occasional Unicode char and so when using the result object I get a UnicodeDecodeError:

    output = run('unicode_printer')

    'returned: ' + output  # kaboom

    UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 0:
    ordinal not in range(128)

What should I do about this? I could hard-code it to decode with utf8, but can't guarantee it will be utf8. I can imagine running a command earlier to get the encoding and then decoding it. For example:

    encoding = run("python2 -c 'import locale; " +
                   "print locale.getdefaultlocale()[1]'")

    output = run('unicode_printer')

    'returned: ' + output.decode(encoding)

Wondering if there was a parameter or easier way that I'm missing.

Thanks,