fab-user

[Fab-user] Fabric with Cygwin + OpenSSH no output

From: Vincent Derelle
Subject: [Fab-user] Fabric with Cygwin + OpenSSH no output
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:44:56 -0500

Hello,

In our organisation we’re using Fabric to manage the execution of commands on both Linux and Windows machines. We installed the Cygwin + the OpenSSH package on our Windows servers.

The problem is that almost ALL commands don’t return output after a fabric execution. Example:

fab -H example.test.org runs_in_parallel:date,windows

Output:

[vincent-windows-admin-testing12.mqel.ubisoft.com] Executing task 'runs_in_parallel'

[vincent-windows-admin-testing12.mqel.ubisoft.com] run: date

Done.

Same thing for a command that should output something more lines like:

fab -H example.test.org runs_in_parallel:cat,windows,/etc/test

[vincent-windows-admin-testing12.mqel.ubisoft.com] Executing task 'runs_in_parallel'

[vincent-windows-admin-testing12.mqel.ubisoft.com] run: date

Done.

Where test is a text file with over 3000 lines of text. I can obviously SSH directly into the Windows server (Cygwin+OpenSSH) and do a ‘cat test’ which will output the contents of the text file.

The ONLY command which displays the outputs successfully is ‘chef-client’ which is the Chef (http://www.getchef.com/) client utility which does configuration management for the nodes in our infrastructure.

Is anyone here familiar with the idiosyncrasies of Fabric and Cygwin + OpenSSH on a Windows server? Any known tweaks that may be done to solve this?

Thanks

Vincent