fenfire-dev

Re: [Fenfire-dev] URGENT: InBCT 2.1 plan for 2004

From: Alatalo Toni
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] URGENT: InBCT 2.1 plan for 2004
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:11:18 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Alatalo Toni wrote:

> (now that i'm busy with osx build, something about testing portability
> could perhaps be mentioned, but my actual point was something else:)

((has Symbian been in the talks, btw?))

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> > - Start testing shrinking of the FenPDF user interface to mobile-sized
> > screens
> >   (specifically requested by Nokia in beginning of 2003, causing us
> >   to create the framework for custom controllers)
> > - Further develop FenPDF-like interfaces to be applicable to e.g.
> > photographs,
> another approach to mobile use is having the small devices as sort-of
> remote controls to the environment, where may e.g. be large displays with
> richer visualisations (driven by more powerful computers).

(quoting in length to inform the others)

> of course standalone lite apps in small devices is important per se (for
> Nokia), but, well, i'm working on this other approach :) and have done it
> in collaboration with Nokia before (and it's done quite a lot elsewhere
> too).

as published in e.g. http://owla.oulu.fi/presentations/owla-tekes_usix.ppt
(argh what format :o)

and worked on now in the first open project of Kyperjokki,
http://studio.kyperjokki.fi/FirstAndLast/
(i just opened this for anon. access and am submitting to
http://www.isea2004.net/)

> perhaps this is not part of the InBCT work, but an example of
> collaboration with other groups (if we decide to use Fenfire for such
> projects), if you want to mention something about it.

then i was thinking about the University as a potential place for a group,
but am also working on this in another context

> > - Storm-based transparent collaboration: two people meeting in a coffee shop
> >   and working together on the same document, both with their own computers,
> >   transparently synchronizing through a *local* network, with no servers
> >   involved, later synching the results to the whole working group.
> > this comes close to the scenario i'm thinking from another angle.
> interesting stuff, looking forward to the coming year :)
> ~Toni

same.