Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth and mingw32

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth and mingw32
Date: 31 May 2003 09:52:29 -0700

On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 02:00, Antoine Schmitt wrote:
> :::::::::30/05/03::::13:09 -0700::::Josh Green:::::::::
> >Anyone know where fluid_set_hinstance should be called from?
>
> It should be called explicitely from the client app, the one that
> creates the synth object, because that's where an app window may be
> present and provided to fluid *before* the audio driver is created.
> For some strange reason, DirectSound needs a window handler in order to run...

I think I figured some of that out. I've been mucking around in DLL
scheisse for a few days now. Bahhh. What a pain it has been. All that
import/export symbols crap. I think I pretty much got all the MACRO
defines working like the MSVC build files work, though:
#define FLUIDSYNTH_DLL_EXPORTS when compiling libfluidsynth as a shared
object and #define FLUIDSYNTH_NOT_A_DLL when compiling the fluidsynth
command line program. The fluid_dll.c file calls fluid_set_hinstance
when it is compiled as FLUIDSYNTH_NOT_A_DLL. It is called from a DLL
init function though, which is what my problem was. I was statically
linking FluidSynth, which causes the init routine to never be
initialized.

So now it gets to the link stage for libfluidsynth and its trying to
find DirectSoundCreate. Okay I say, thats in the libdsound.a library. So
just add "-ldsound" to the link, but noooooo.. I get this:

*** Warning: Trying to link with static lib archive libdsound.a.
*** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in
when
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because the file extensions .a of this argument makes me believe
*** that it is just a static archive that I should not used here.

So I'm assuming the route I need to take is in acquiring a shared
library of libdsound. Having trouble finding it though. So close, but
not close enough! Cheers.
        Josh Green