Re: [fluid-dev] Problem running fluidsynth

From: Andy Gimblett
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Problem running fluidsynth
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:09:09 +0100

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:58:30AM +0300, address@hidden wrote:

> I can't try right now, but maybe it was hw:0,0 and plughw:0,0 instead of just
> :0.

Oh, OK - thanks, I'll try that.

> Running as root should get rid of the warnings (cannot lock sample
> memory and so on). It's unrelated to the errors.

Ah, sorry - misunderstanding on my part.

> I have never experienced the 'cannot set the sample rate' error
> message. I wonder if your audio card runs at 44.1 kHz... It's
> possible that jack does sample rate conversion, but the plughw:0,0
> should do the same. And, why does jack work with the same set of
> parameters? I don't understand this.

*shrug* - I'll play around and let you know what I find out.

> If jack works reasonably well you're lucky, because you can run
> other audio applications at the same time - alsaplayer for example
> or a metronome.

I wouldn't say it's working reasonably well, to be honest - not yet at
least.  It's complaining a lot and I get glitches when I switch
workspaces in X.  But I haven't made any effort to optimise it, and
I'm not running low latency patches, etc. yet so I'm not too worried.
Yet.  :-)

> For real-time playing try to lower the -p value as far as possible,
> you could also try to use a -n as low as possible.

Noted, thanks.

Thanks again for your help.

-Andy

--