Re: [fluid-dev] Problem running fluidsynth

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Problem running fluidsynth
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:09:55 -0700

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 14:42, Andy Gimblett wrote:
> Alas, no - still failing with "fluidsynth: error: Failed to set the
> sample rate".  :(

I added a call to print details of the failure for setting sample rate
in FluidSynth CVS, perhaps you could try it, or wait until the next
release which will be soon.

> I hadn't tried using the OSS driver yet, but I just did, and it works
> fine, eg:
>
> fluidsynth -a oss -m oss -o midi.oss.device=/dev/midi10 some_font.sf2
>
> Unfortunately, this isn't _much_ good to me because I don't actually
> want to run fluidsynth for its own sake: I want to run Swami, and
> Swami doesn't appear to give me the option of using fluidsynth with
> OSS (at least, not through the GUI).  Looks like it's ALSA or Jack.
> :(

Hmm, I didn't even realize OSS wasn't on the list in Swami. It really
should be dynamically created (which will be the case with Swami 1.0).
I'll go ahead and add OSS to the list, and kick myself for not releasing
a version of Swami sooner :)

> Looking at the code, the error's raised in fluid_alsa.c, at line 246:
>
>     tmp = (unsigned int) sample_rate;
>     if (snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_near(dev->pcm, hwparams, &tmp, &dir) != 0)
> {
>       FLUID_LOG(FLUID_ERR, "Failed to set the sample rate");
>       goto error_recovery;
>     }

If you change the above to:

if ((err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_near(dev->pcm, hwparams, &tmp, &dir) !=
0)) {
  FLUID_LOG(FLUID_ERR, "Failed to set the sample rate: %s", snd_strerror (err));
  goto error_recovery;
}

Which is essentially what I committed to CVS, it will give you some more
details of the failure.

> I don't see snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_near() defined anywhere in the
> fluidsynth source so I guess it's an ALSA API call.  I'm online on the
> end of a phone line right now so I'm not going to investigate any
> further but maybe tomorrow I'll have a look from work and try to work
> out what's going on there...

Yes, its an ALSA call.

> Cheers,
>
> Andy

Hope you can get things working :) I'll post to the FluidSynth list (as
well as the swami-devel list of course) when a new Swami is released.
Cheers.
        Josh Green