Re: [fluid-dev] Still some clicking

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Still some clicking
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 10:41:06 -0700

On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 08:50, Tim Goetze wrote:
> Josh Green wrote:
>
> >Another problem I have been noticing is that sometimes the volume
> >envelope release stage cuts off short, rather randomly actually. Perhaps
> >this is a problem with Swami, I have not done tests for this with
> >FluidSynth standalone. Anyone else see this kind of behavior?
>
> are you driving the synth in polyphony? if so, you may have
> encountered the same problem i have with the voice allocator algorithm
> which does not seem to cut the right notes when it has to deal with
> a low number of available voices.
>
> i submitted a patch quite some time ago that peter checked in but then
> markus changed it around again iirc. i'm not using the synth that much
> anymore so i stopped bothering (which may change anytime actually).
>
> tim

I imagine it probably is something to do with the voice allocation. I'll
play with it some more, I wasn't able to get it to occur last time I was
testing things. I'm not real familiar with the FluidSynth code base yet,
so I've been a little apprehensive about implementing new things. It
would be nice to improve the voice allocation algorithm though.

I was thinking a "soft limit" and "hard limit" would be cool. When the
soft limit is exceeded then the number of voices over the limit would go
into a quick decay stage, once the hard limit is reached voices would be
terminated immediately (the way things are now). This would provide for
smoother voice turn off. A plus would be to use CPU usage as the limits
rather than fixed number of voices. I see there is already some code in
FluidSynth for detecting CPU usage which could probably be leveraged.
Cheers.
        Josh Green