Re: [fluid-dev] Announce: FluidGUI Version 0.8

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Announce: FluidGUI Version 0.8
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:47:04 -0700

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 09:45, Ken Ellinwood wrote:
> --- Josh Green <address@hidden> wrote:
> >  Seems like a nice clean thorough interface. Cheers.
>
> Thanks you.  It has a fairly sound implementation, so new additions shouldn't
> be too hard.  It almost meets my own requirements.  There's only one more
> feature I really want -- the ability to play MIDI files via the GUI, so I'm
> thinking about adding a "play" command to FluidSynth (if it doesn't already
> exist).
>
> Also, I'm looking forward to suggestions for new features...

I realized after I replied to your last email that your program is
written in Java and controls FluidSynth via the TCP server control.
Thats pretty neat :) So that means your GUI should theoretically run on
anything that FluidSynth can and probably even on another network or
Internet connected machine?
As far as MIDI file commands in the FluidSynth shell, that functionality
appears to be lacking. It looks as though the MIDI file player is only
accessible from the C API or by specifying a MIDI file on the command
line parameters of the fluidsynth program.
I could see some MIDI player commands being added, that look like:

load <midi_file_name>  - SoundFont/MIDI files auto detected
play  - Play from the list of loaded MIDI files
stop  - Stop playing MIDI files (might be "pause")

Some new settings:
midi.player.loop  - Boolean value to set if play list is looped
midi.player.bpm   - Beats per minute
midi.player.tempo - MIDI tempo (relates to BPM, different units)

Unfortunately it seems that there are some missing C API calls that
would complete the whole picture. These would have to wait till next API
version release.
No way to get the list of loaded MIDI files, delete files from the list,
or re-organize it.

I also just realized that there isn't a way to get the FluidSynth
version via the shell. This could be useful as the API changes to check
for certain functionality.

So, some more things for the TODO list. Cheers.
        Josh Green