Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI stutters when I move windows

From: Menteco
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI stutters when I move windows
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:13:56 -0300

Josh Green wrote:

If you are just running FluidSynth stand alone, then its just
sufficient to run it as root, ...
If I play a MIDI file directly with fluidsynth (as root or not) it plays twice as slow than if played with KMid, as if fluidsynth can't get the tempo info from the MIDI file. No matter if I play the MIDI file with KMid of fluidsynth, audio dropt when I move any window, even when logged as root. I am using kernel 2.6.0-test9, which only has a preemptive kernel option and no other low latency hacks.

With 2.4.x kernels these days, you can usually get fairly good response
without applying any low latency patches, but if you want that real
hardcore professional feel, it makes sense

The problem is that just kernel 2.6x has native support for ALSA. It was relatively easy to set ALSA and friends with it. With kernel 2.4x I would have to install everything manually, disable the default OSS audio stuff, etc, etc.

I imagine if you are just
trying to play a MIDI file for web pages, you probably don't need lowlat
patches.
I am actually a desktop musician (www.mp3.com/menteco) and plan to use Rosegarden, but first I need to start with the simple questions/tasks since I am just a 3 month old full-time Linux user/migrator.

On a some what unrelated note I'm just realizing right now that there
isn't a way to set the interpolation algorithm. This has a drastic
effect on CPU consumption and the like. There should probably be a
settings parameter for it. I believe the default is 4th order
interpolation, but I suppose linear could be used for much less CPU
usage, I haven't tested it much myself. Cheers.
    Josh Green
I'm not sure but may be part of the output when I launch fluidwyth has something to do with interpolation:
debian18:/home/menteco/swami# fluidsynth -m alsa_seq 8MBGMSFX.SF2
** Using format s16, rw, interleaved
fluidsynth version 1.0.3...
Cheers,
Paul www.menteco.tk