Re: [fluid-dev] fluid cvs compile error/ bank offset patch

From: Ken Ellinwood
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] fluid cvs compile error/ bank offset patch
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:00:21 -0700 (PDT)

--- Piotr Sawicki <address@hidden> wrote:

> (cd .libs && rm -f libfluidsynth.so.1 && ln -s libfluidsynth.so.1.0.0
> libfluidsynth.so.1)
> (cd .libs && rm -f libfluidsynth.so && ln -s libfluidsynth.so.1.0.0
> libfluidsynth.so)
> /usr/bin cru .libs/libfluidsynth.a  fluid_alsa.o fluid_jack.o
> fluid_oss.o fluid_adriver.o fluid_chan.o fluid_chorus.o fluid_cmd.o
> fluid_conv.o fluid_defsfont.o fluid_event.o fluid_gen.o fluid_hash.o
> fluid_io.o fluid_ladspa.o fluid_list.o fluid_mdriver.o fluid_midi.o
> fluid_midi_router.o fluid_midishare.o fluid_mod.o fluid_ramsfont.o
> fluid_rev.o fluid_seqbind.o fluid_seq.o fluid_settings.o fluid_strtok.o
> fluid_synth.o fluid_sys.o fluid_tuning.o fluid_voice.o fluid_aufile.o
> ../libtool: line 1: /usr/bin: is a directory

Not sure, but this appears to be caused a bad makefile (produced by automake).

> I don't know why
> fluidsynth -ajack -j
> (which should connect to jack ports)
> didn't worked

I dont know the answer to this either.

> and I don't know how to check the bank_offset after loading a soundfont,
> when I load:
>  > load /mnt/linux1/Soundfont/Acoustic_Piano/WST25FStein_00Sep22.SF2
> loaded SoundFont has ID 1
> it should automaticly have bank=0,

I should update the output of the 'fonts' command so that it shows bank offset.

> I can play in vkeybd, when any bank is selected!
> then I load another sf2:
>  > load /mnt/linux1/Soundfont/Acoustic_Piano/PC51d.sf2 bank_offset=2
> loaded SoundFont has ID 2
> and I can play only new banks from PC51d.sf2 and not the old one with bank 0
>
> so what am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure how vkeybd works.  I tested the bank offset feature by routing
messages from a virtual midi device to fluidsynth and sending bank select and
program change messages to the virtual device with amidi.

> The strange thing also is when I want to test fluidsynth like:
> fluidsynth -i -s,
> it appears in alsa midi patch bay,
> but when I start fluidgui 0.8.3:
>
> address@hidden vst]# /usr/local/bin/fluidgui
> java.net.UnknownHostException: localhost
>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
>         at org.fluidsynth.api.Executive.ensureConnection(Executive.java:426)
>         at org.fluidsynth.api.Executive.invoke(Executive.java:224)
>         at org.fluidsynth.api.Executive$Ping.run(Executive.java:369)
>         at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Check to make sure that in your /etc/hosts file you have

120.0.0.1     localhost.localdomain  localhost

It looks like your system can't resolve the name 'localhost' into the IP
address 127.0.0.1.

Fix this, and FluidGUI should start working again.

> I hope this is detailed enough, so You are able to help me.

Too detailed, actually.  I gave up trying to understand everything that you
have going on.