Re: [fluid-dev] Clicking, continued

From: kd4crel02
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Clicking, continued
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:44:41 -0500

Hi again. Sorry, I was away for a while.

Josh wrote:
> You may want to try different settings for the audio buffer size and
> count, as well as perhaps the sampling rate.  Also make sure you are
> running FluidSynth with root privileges (I imagine you are already,
> since you mentioned you get click free output with another sound card).
> The switches for the audio buffer are:
> -z for audio buffer size (try numbers like 128, 256, 512, etc), -c for
> audio buffer count (1, 2, 3, 4, etc).  The higher the numbers the higher
> the latency of course.  Some cards like certain combinations better it
> seems.  Its unlikely that its the sample rate, but you could always set
> this as well with -r (48000 might be worth trying).

Thanks for the suggestions, Josh. I tried buffer settings all the way up to a
buffer size of 8192 and buffer count of 64, with no luck. The clicks happen
just as often (almost always very sparse) and just as unpredictably as they
do when the buffer size is 128 and the count is 3. Also, I'd already tried
different sample rates, and that doesn't seem to affect it either. And yes, I
have been running fluidsynth as root.

So my guess now is that it's either the ALSA driver for this sound card or the
sound card itself.

I just wish I knew more about DSP and realtime programming so I could debug
this myself. Does anyone here have any ideas for simple tests I can do
determine the source of this frustrating problem?

Thanks,
Paul