[fluid-dev] Re: Compiling fluidsynth under Mac OSX 10.3.7

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re: Compiling fluidsynth under Mac OSX 10.3.7
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 20:37:09 +0200

On Aug 5, 2005, at 2:44 PM, Martin Buechler wrote:

Hi Ebrahim,

Hello Martin

Firstly, I am going to Cc your message to the fluidsynth mailing list.

Just installed successfully fluidsynth 1.0.6 on Mac OSX 10.3.

Many thanks for your feedback. Good to hear.

Some things to notice:

- README.MACOSX is not included! But found it in CVS.
- Some installation has wiped out the CoreAudio headers, I swear they had been there. So I had to reinstall DevSDK.pkg

Are you certain about the CoreAudio headers?

Anything else went smooth, and I think fluid sounds better than quicktime, maybe just because it's new ;) MidiShare also seems to work, but I cannot find a handy GUI on Mac OSX to connect arbitrary MIDI sources with MIDI sinks like fluidsynth.

Did you install msDisplay, msDrivers and msControler applications that are included in the MidiShare package?

CoreAudio seems to be comparable to OSS under Linux, if any. And: If I want to route audio or connect MIDI I still need jack, is this right?

To route audio you will indeed need jack. As for MIDI connections, refer to the my question above.
First I thought jack and CoreAudio exclude each other...

No, Jack can connect numerous audio streams to the CoreAudio driver.

And another thing: If I want to add more OS audio apps, like qsynth, qjackctl and the like, do you know of a package-collection like PlanetCCRMA for MAC OSX? fink has some audio packages but way to less...

Fluidsynth, qsynth, qjackctl, SWAMI and LinuxSampler can all be installed on OS X. You will find instructions to install qsynth and SWAMI from these respective packages. Qjackctl can be installed with a simple "configure && make && sudo make install" the last time I tried it. I don't know of any PlanetCCRMA version for OS X or fink versions of the aforementioned packages but maybe somebody out there does indeed know of one.

Regards.

Best wishes.

Martin

Ebrahim