[fluid-dev] Re: Compiling fluidsynth under Mac OSX 10.3.7

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re: Compiling fluidsynth under Mac OSX 10.3.7
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:03:12 +0200

On Aug 9, 2005, at 1:45 PM, Martin Buechler wrote:

Hello Ebrahim,

Am 08.08.2005 um 20:37 schrieb Ebrahim Mayat:

Are you certain about the CoreAudio headers?

Not really sure, but quite. I read in a newsgroup posting, that updating the mac os x core might throw away development stuff, like headers.

Yes, this has been reported hence my instruction for installing both the XcodeTools.mpkg and DevSDK.pkg from the Tiger Install DVD. (So, I presume that you are updating to 10.4.x (Tiger) from 10.3.7.)

Did you install msDisplay, msDrivers and msControler applications that are included in the MidiShare package?

Yes, and you are right, msDrivers is the missing GUI. But I had to downgrade to 1.88 to get an output from my M-Audio keystation in msDisplay. MIDI routing with msDrivers does not work at all. fluidsynth is not showing up there too. BUT starting fluidsynth _after_ starting msDisplay is sufficient to get my keystation working together with fluidsynth. Things are not so clear to me as they are, when using ALSA, but that took its time too ;)

Does your M-Audio keystation have a direct USB connector ? or are you running your keyboard via a MIDI interface? In the case of the MIDI interface, you should see the name of your USB MIDI interface together with its associated ports (not fluidsynth) in the Drivers Manager pane of msDrivers.app. I do not have keyboards with direct USB connectors so I am not in a position to comment about the first case scenario. Though, I am sure that somebody else on this list could give you more details.

qjackctl is definitely the better alternative to JackPIlot. But I cannot start jack with qjackctl, only attach to a running daemon started by JackPilot. /usr/local/bin is usually not in my path, maybe qjackctl is missing some environment setting for loading the coreaudio driver:
-----------------------------
13:36:24.794 JACK is starting...
13:36:24.805 /usr/local/bin/jackd -R -dcoreaudio -n0 -r44100 -p512
13:36:24.830 JACK was started with PID=2526 (0x9de).
jackd 0.100.1
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK compiled with POSIX SHM support.
cannot load driver module coreaudio
--------------------------

Okay, here's what you do.:
1.Start JackPilot, then start the jack server by clicking on the Start tab of JackPilot.
2.Start qjackctl, by typing "qjackctl" in the X11 console.
3.Launch fluidsynth with jack as the audio driver: "fluidsynth -a jack"
4.In the Connections window of qjackctl, connect fluidsynth to coreaudio. 5.Load a soundfont into fluidsynth using the "load" command…and you should be in business :-)

Prior to doing the above check that /usr/local/bin is in your path. You can check this by running "echo $PATH". If not, add /usr/local/ bin to your path using the "set path" command. If you want more details let me know.

qsynth is working also and, great, your README-OSX is included. I had to remove 2 entries from the resulting Makefile:
        moc_qsynthtabbar.o \
        moc_qsynthmeter.o \

qmake seems to be confused by something, the two lines are already in qsynth-0.2.3.pro.

What is important is that you got qsynth working on your Mac. I am happy to hear that.

[snip]

Thank you very much for your assistance

Glad to help out :-)
Regards