Re: [fluid-dev] Windows build

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Windows build
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:38:04 -0700

Hello Bernhard,

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 15:02 +0200, Bernhard Schelling wrote:
> Hi Josh, Hi mailing list
>
> > After making a few changes to the existing VC++ 6 project and some
> > source files I was able to build FluidSynth on Visual Studio 2003.
> > Since I don't have VC++ 6, I was wondering if I should just remove the
> > older VC 6 project files and add the newer VS 2003 files.
> >
> > Is anyone currently using the VC 6 project files for doing Windows
> > builds?
>
> We are using a modified/hacked version of FluidSynth for our current project
> (expect a rather large mostly useless chunk of patches sooner or later on
> this list).

Ok, I will check in the vcproj files, but leave the existing .dsp VC6
stuff.  It would be nice to check in updated ones though.  I'd be
interested to see what other changes you have made to FluidSynth,
besides the Windows build-ability stuff.

> I mostly use VC6 on my machines for my builds. Other members of our project
> use VC8 (VS2005) and for gcc/linux regular makefiles. The VC8 build are being
> done
> by converting the changed DSP VC6 projects which I use.
>
> There are a few changes which were required to make these builds possible.
> In the DSP I added the files for aufile, dspfloat and removed strtok which
> doesn't exist anymore but is still referenced in the DSP.

I also had to make these changes in order to get the Visual Studio build
working.

> For the source itself a few changes were necessary for getting it built under
> the standards incompatible VC6 compiler.
> - changed some of the "#include "config.h"" to "#include "fluidsynth_priv.h""
> - obviously required on systems without HAVE_CONFIG_H

Also noticed this had to be changed (although surrounded it by #if
HAVE_CONFIG_H instead).

> - removed all inline keywords (used for 4 static inline functions) - not
> supported for non C++ C code in VC6
> Other than that it works very well.

I got around this by adding "#define inline __inline" to the
win32_config.h.  Do you know if __inline is supported in VC6?

I needed to make some additional changes to the pre-compiled header
paths (had forward slashes '/' instead of '\'s), and I changed the
debugging type to not include the "change and continue" support, since
that was causing some warnings.

> Seeing that VC2003 and VC2005 load/convert and build the VC6 DSP projects
> without any problems, I'd suggest keeping the VC6 ones.
> But there is a tool available to backconvert the projects at
> http://www.codeproject.com/tools/prjconverter.asp - so I guess that could be
> an option, too, for
> the few people who still use VC6 (which includes me because I like the small
> size and speed of the whole IDE and compile environment - not so much the
> compiler
> itself).

I'll have to checkout that back converter program, maybe I can use it to
check in working VC6 project files (perhaps you could give them a try?).
Nice how Microsoft never has backwards compatibility itself, leading to
the requirement to upgrade in order to stay compatible.

> Greetings from Switzerland,
> Bernhard
>

> PS: If this mail doesn't get correctly attached to it's parent posting in the
> list thread, it's because I just subscribed and couldn't correctly reply to
> the
> message.

Cheers!  From a small town in northern California.
        Josh