Re: [fluid-dev] Subversion checkins

From: David Hilvert
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Subversion checkins
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:57:28 -0500

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 18:31:13 -0700
Josh Green <address@hidden> wrote:

> I wonder what the technical reason for the crash was though.

I've looked into this more closely; it appears that I may have been fooled by
the intermittent nature of the problem, and that qsynth is still not working
correctly.  To attempt to reconstruct what occurred:

Remove fluidsynth and qsynth Debian packages.

Rebuild fluidsynth

Test qsynth ... fails once

Rebuild qsynth

Test qsynth ... works several times in a row.

(I send a message suggesting that rebuilding qsynth may fix the problem, and
that header files may be the cause.)

(Receive your message above.)

Install Debian qsynth package again.

Test qsynth ... fails

(At this point, it looks like header files aren't the cause, but having a
Debian qsynth package installed on the same system might be.)

Remove Debian qsynth package.

Test qsynth ... works several times in a row.

Install Debian qsynth package.

Test qsynth ... fails several tests.

Remove Debian qsynth package.

Test qsynth ... intermittently fails.

Do hash -c and ldconfig

Test qsynth ... intermittently fails.

It appears that qsynth is still broken, and that an apparent link to whether
the Debian qsynth package is installed may be entirely absent, merely an
artifact
of the intermittent nature of the failures.  Header files at the time of
compilation seem similarly dubious as a cause, as it seems that the Debian
qsynth and fluidsynth packages did not include these, and that slocate does not
find
any other fluidsynth.h files (or fluidsynth.so).