Re: [fluid-dev] Subversion checkins

From: David Hilvert
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Subversion checkins
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 03:24:41 -0500

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 18:02:34 -0700
Josh Green <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm having trouble re-producing the QSynth crash problem (as mentioned
> in a previous email to the list, forgot to CC you though).

I think I'm on the list.

> I've tried with Jack and ALSA, QSynth 2.5, 2.6 and 3.1.  Also tried
> FluidSynth with LADSPA and QSynth meters enabled.

Crashes seem to be produced frequently with the following configuration:

Qsynth 2.5 or 3.1 with meters enabled
ALSA audio driver
synth.ladspa.active=no

> When the application crashes at line 1828 in fluid_synth.c (as your
> backtrace indicates), please run the following 2 GDB commands (prints
> the values of the i and di variables respectively):
>
> p i
> p di

(gdb) p i
$1 = 0
(gdb) p di
$2 = -1209854928

> Those are the only 2 variables that could cause a crash in the line of
> code where it is occurring (provided the 'lin' buffer is valid for the
> given 'len' samples).  Hopefully that gives some insight, although
> looking over the code, I don't see how they could be out of range.  What
> architecture are you running on? (is it 64 bit for example).

The hardware supports 64-bit instructions, and is multi-core (Core 2 Duo).  The
library and qsynth executable are 32-bit, according to the output of 'file':

/usr/local/bin/qsynth: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
(SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

/usr/local/lib/libfluidsynth.so.1.1.1: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel
80386, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

> Are you certain that you are running with the latest FluidSynth?  Perhaps try
> a fresh checkout if unsure.

svn reports "At revision 117."