Re: [fluid-dev] Short note durations on percussion channel

From: S. Christian Collins
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Short note durations on percussion channel
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 00:54:21 -0500

Well, another way of dealing with this would be to set a minimum duration that notes could sound at.  I'm not sure the numbers that are used "under the hood", but say, for example, a note duration of 0, 1 or 2 would always play as 2.  I think we need to prevent the scenario where a note with a duration of 0 plays a note with the attack set to 0 (and a long release) and nothing sounds.  This should apply to all channels, not just percussion tracks.

-~Chris

David Henningsson wrote:
S. Christian Collins skrev:

Josh,

Thanks for explaining the true nature of the problem--I misunderstood.
I would like to propose the following for the percussion track:

   * A note-off event received before the attack phase is completed
     would be delayed until completion of the attack phase, unless the
     attack phase is longer than 0.5 seconds.

I can't think of any cases where this would cause an undesired effect.
Most percussive sounds would have a very short attack phase, and the
sounds that would have attack phases longer than 0.5 seconds (cymbal
rolls, sound effects that fade in) would still properly respond to
keypress duration.

By the way, should this only be applied to the percussion track? What
about synth toms and similar sounds?

// David