[fluid-dev] Short note durations on percussion channel

From: josh
Subject: [fluid-dev] Short note durations on percussion channel
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 19:40:47 -0700

I think the short note duration ticket should be fixed before 1.1.0 is released (I seem to remember David suggesting this too?). I just found a PDF file called GM Guidelines Version 2.

http://www.midi.org/techspecs/gmguide2.pdf

On page 20, there is a section on response to Note-off on Channel 10. It specifically mentions that GM percussion instruments should ignore note-off events. The exceptions being long Whistle and long Guiro. So that probably answers why there are MIDI files floating out there with very short duration percussion note events. I think this also applies to GS.

Now the question becomes, what is the best way for FluidSynth to handle this? It would be nice to have a MIDI mode setting, which would respond to SYSEX messages which enable/disable GM and GS. I'm not sure if we should try and tackle that by 1.1.0 though. I'm not sure if every GM/GS file has the proper SYSEX messages either, although we could let the mode be specified manually.

Perhaps something like this would be adequate:
midi.mode = raw, gm, no-off-percuss

raw: Don't do any special percussion channel handling
gm: Ignore note-offs for all but fast Whistle and Guiro on percussion channel
no-off-percuss: Ignore all note-offs on percussion channel

Any better ideas or suggestions?

Josh