[fluid-dev] drumkit substitution issue

From: jimmy
Subject: [fluid-dev] drumkit substitution issue
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:15:10 -0700 (PDT)

I did an SVN checkout late Friday night (2009/10/16), just to give it a test
run.  I suppose the following is also a problem with the current version, too.
This is on Debian Sid (up to date with jackd/qjackctl,
libfluid/fluidsynth/qsynth, not up to date with other packages, but fairly
current within 3-4 months).

Here's the command I run fluidsynth with jackd, using PersonalCopy's soundfont
PC51f.sf2:

   fluidsynth -a jack -j -r 48000 -g 0.40   PC51f.sf2

trying with some midi files at http://mmacdonald.com/midi/XG/ , I'm using
aplaymidi to play:

   aplaymidi -p 130:0  "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You MM  3k.mid"

the fluidsynth messages:

> fluidsynth: warning: Instrument not found on channel 0 [bank=45 prog=11],
> substituted [bank=0 prog=11]
fluidsynth: warning: Instrument not found on channel 8 [bank=16256 prog=0],
substituted [bank=0 prog=0]
fluidsynth: warning: Instrument not found on channel 9 [bank=16256 prog=27],
substituted [bank=16256 prog=0]
fluidsynth: warning: Instrument not found on channel 12 [bank=1024 prog=3],
substituted [bank=0 prog=3]
fluidsynth: warning: Instrument not found on channel 13 [bank=122 prog=49],
substituted [bank=0 prog=49]
fluidsynth: warning: Instrument not found on channel 14 [bank=115 prog=84],
substituted [bank=0 prog=84]
fluidsynth: warning: Instrument not found on channel 0 [bank=45 prog=11],
substituted [bank=0 prog=11]

The problem is on the drum channel (#9),  [bank=16256 prog=27] was requested.
It seems Fluidsynth only try to load the drumkit from:

   [bank=16256 prog=27]
   [bank=16256 prog=0]

and stop searching right there.  Which won't help for most people with GM-only
soundfont.

I suppose the drumkit search order could be a bit more generous:

   [bank=16256 prog=27]
   [bank=16256 prog=0]
   [bank=127 prog=27]
   [bank=127 prog=0]

which should help whether there is any drumkits at all in bank #16256.  This
way, it will work for normal GM users, as well as for soundfont
creators/testers, too.  Although, I suspect these midi files are recorded on
some arranger keyboard, or using hardware sound modules of some sort.

There is at least one more midi file there for this test:

   "http://mmacdonald.com/midi/XG/Sweet Talking Guy MM 3k.mid"

for which, Fluidsynth messages show:

fluidsynth: warning: Instrument not found on channel 9 [bank=16256 prog=86],
substituted [bank=16256 prog=0]

I haven't had time to tried more files on that site yet.

Jimmy