Re: [fluid-dev] Pending FluidSynth 1.1.0 release

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Pending FluidSynth 1.1.0 release
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:56:35 -0700

Quoting Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <address@hidden>:
On Wednesday, October 28, 2009, address@hidden wrote:
The .nsi file is a specification, that will be processed by NSIS to create a
setup exe. The directories hardcoded at the top of the file are the places
where it picks the components, that NSIS will gather, compress and package.
Some components are installed from another distribution package, and some
components are compiled from sources, like the ones in my home directory.
The paths are defined at the top of the .nsi file, documenting the origin of
the components for the last package created, so it can be located and
replaced easily the next time.

The .nsi file also specifies the places where the components will be installed
in the user system. In my package, they will be installed together into
a "Program Files\QSynth" directory.

Thanks for explaining that.  Makes more sense to me now.

There are two ways to install dynamic libraries in Windows: side-by-side (at
the same place of the executables using the libraries), or system-wide, in a
public centralized directory, that must be in the PATH. I've chosen the first
way to install QSynth and its dependencies.

There is not a package repository in windows, and every setup package installs
the preferred version of each required library, at any random place, using
different package systems. You can imagine the nightmare. The usual result is
called the "DLL hell".

I still have a good laugh everytime I find myself having to Add/Remove programs on a Windows system one at a time and how the removal will often fail, ask for a restart, etc.

To summarize: I would install everything together, at the same directory. But
I don't think that a FluidSynth setup package would be very useful alone,
with only the fluidsynth.exe CLI.

Good point! I suppose just a .zip archive with FluidSynth and required libraries would be the most useful. I'll be creating a setup program for Swami at some point though, so that would be a good opportunity to use an installer such as NSIS.

Regards,
Pedro

Regards,
Josh