Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth bugs

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth bugs
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:26:11 -0400

On Sep 23, 2010, at 3:26 PM, address@hidden wrote:

Regarding the first problem, I have identified in my first e-mail the API function that uses the reset-presets parameter. All you need to do is implement an option for the command-line to
set that parameter. I can suggest the code if you need it.

By all means, if you want to submit some code please do.

In relation to the second problem, it's independent of midifiles, it can happen with any sort of midi input to fluidsynth, but only using the coreaudio driver, so what else can I say? It appears to be a problem in fluyidsynth's coreaudio driver, which does not happen in portaudio or jack. It does not sound like a drop-out issue, but I tested with various period sizes and period numbers, also tried the two options for sample formats and setting the SR. Maybe if the coreaudio driver is not actively maintained, bugs can creep in from Apple constantly changing their implementation.

Quite possible.

Could you suggest ways that these problems could be reproduced ? I would be glad to test them. It would also be great to have some step- by-step bug reports.

It does not really affect me, because I use fluidsynth as a library, but I had people asking me why the fluidsynth command wasn't working and I am reporting here what the problems are. It would definitely help any new user to have a command that works out of the box, without much hassle or fuss, and played their midifiles. I know from experience in working on other FOSS projects (I am a Csound developer) that people get put off by these kinds of things, and it is a shame if they do, because in other aspects fluidsynth is a very useful piece of software that beats much of the competition.

Absolutely,...and many thanks for your kind words.

Regards

Victor

Regards,
Ebrahim