Re: [fluid-dev] [jack] output ports not showing up or lost

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] [jack] output ports not showing up or lost
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 09:32:27 +0200

On 2010-10-06 23:09, Ray Rashif wrote:
Background: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/21031

Dieter's workflow involves the following:

* jack
* rosegarden
* fluidsynth

For a week or so, Dieter did not touch these. He had:

* jack-0.118.0
* fluidsynth-1.1.1
* rosegarden-10.04

In that week, among the kernel and other system software updates a
(bleeding-edge) Linux system typically has, he ended up with:

* fluidsynth-1.1.2

Suddenly, Dieter could not resume his workflow. Fluidsynth's playback
ports refused to show up in jackd's connections.

Hmm. I'm on Ubuntu Maverick here. If I run FS 1.1.2 with the following line (as specified in the background link) :

fluidsynth -r 48000 -i -a jack /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.SF2

The audio port does show up in qjackctl. The midi in does not, but that is correct. For them to show up, you must also specify "-m jack", like this:

fluidsynth -r 48000 -i -a jack -m jack /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.SF2

However, when I try that here, fluidsynth does not start properly. I'll see if I can trace this down further.

Obviously,
troubleshooting standards dictate that he fall back to the
previously-working version of the program:

* fluidsynth-1.1.1

Unfortunately, this did not solve the issue.

If you ask me, we should make 1.1.2 work and leave 1.1.1 behind. There are a lot of bug fixes in 1.1.2, so hopefully this will not be an issue there.

// David