Re: [fluid-dev] [jack] output ports not showing up or lost

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] [jack] output ports not showing up or lost
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 10:20:46 +0200

On 2010-10-06 23:09, Ray Rashif wrote:
Background: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/21031

Dieter's workflow involves the following:

* jack
* rosegarden
* fluidsynth

For a week or so, Dieter did not touch these. He had:

* jack-0.118.0
* fluidsynth-1.1.1
* rosegarden-10.04

In that week, among the kernel and other system software updates a
(bleeding-edge) Linux system typically has, he ended up with:

* fluidsynth-1.1.2

Suddenly, Dieter could not resume his workflow. Fluidsynth's playback
ports refused to show up in jackd's connections.

Hmm. I'm on Ubuntu Maverick here. If I run FS 1.1.2 with the following
line (as specified in the background link) :

fluidsynth -r 48000 -i -a jack /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.SF2

The audio port does show up in qjackctl. The midi in does not, but that
is correct. For them to show up, you must also specify "-m jack", like
this:

fluidsynth -r 48000 -i -a jack -m jack /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.SF2

However, when I try that here, fluidsynth does not start properly. I'll
see if I can trace this down further.

Okay, fluidsynth is quitting because there is nothing keeping it alive (no shell and no midi files to play). So to fix this, you should not supply the -i switch.

However, when you don't supply the -m jack switch, it actually keeps running. This is because of a race condition in the alsa-seq driver that I just fixed (r376).

I'm a little curious if this is intended behaviour, anybody who knows? If it is, we should perhaps add an information message saying "No shell and no midi files to play - quitting.".

// David