Re: [fluid-dev] Imminent 1.1.3 release?

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Imminent 1.1.3 release?
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:56:04 +0200

On 2010-10-09 18:44, Graham Goode wrote:
Hi Guys,

A couple of big requests related to having a release:

First, so far we have not released windows .exe or .dll files, but released source code only. If someone would like to step up to test build every new release on windows, I would welcome that effort, and we could possibly extend that to distribute precompiled .exe/.dll stuff with our releases as well (as most windows users are not familiar with compiling programs themselves).

1) Would it be possible to have a windows build released with both
dsound and jack drivers?

I'm not an expert on that area, but I don't think there should be a problem with doing so.

2) Would it also be possible to have a How-To on how to compile the
windows version of fluidsynth with both dsound and jack?

AFAIK, that would be as simple as having both development headers installed when configuring/compiling the program. Cmake (or the configure script) will then enable both drivers.

These requests are related to the jOrgan users group. With having jack
support it would be possible to use Jack to connect to ASIO drivers,
fixing the latency issues that some users have with dsound.

As for ASIO - and this is an answer to Bernd as well - I believe ASIO is incompatible with GPL, at least Audacity has come to that conclusion. That is not necessarily a problem for us, since both Jack and FS are under LGPL. It is just important to remember not to link to anything released under GPL at the same time that we link to ASIO.

FluidSynth does not currently have a native ASIO backend, because noone has written such a backend. Based on my personal current interests I'm not likely to write such a backend in the near future, but I'll be happy to commit a patch from someone else in this matter.

// David