Re: [fluid-dev] 1.1.3 build troubles (jack)

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] 1.1.3 build troubles (jack)
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 11:59:55 +0200

> > > Yes, my system is old and the file is obviously missing.
> > > My point is: shouldn't configure/cmake check the jack version?
> >
> > Sure, but the problem is: in what release was introduced the header
> > jack/midiport.h? I remember that it was around 0.100, but I've found no
> > changelog or any other jack documentation telling me the oldest required
> > version for FluidSynth.
>
> I tried installing jack 0.103 0.109 0.118 ,  they all had the midi header
file but FS-1.1.3 did not like it.

I would like to know the detailed errors.

> I tried installing jack 1.95 from source, but it wouldn't  compile (missing
files in the source package).

That is really odd. I often compile jackdmp from source and never found
missing source files.

> Giving up on jack, I tried: configure --without-jack-support ; make
> It did compile, but still tried to link to jack! No success.
>
> Tried cmake: After some guessing (is there on option list somewhere?) cmake
-Denable-jack=0
> compiles, but gives a similar link error!

That is because CMake remembers (in the CMake cache file) the initial jack
options. You need to clean your build directory, or just the CMakeCache.txt
file before running the cmake command line interface again with the option
"-Denable-jack=0".

The cmake cache memory problem will be solved the next release of FluidSynth,
but using the GUI interface (the program named cmake-gui) or the ncurses
interface (program ccmake) you shouldn't have this problem. Both programs give
you the list of all available options, with explanatory texts, allowing to run
the configuration process several times before generating the outputs. This is
documented in "README.cmake" and the wiki page:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/wiki/BuildingWithCMake

Regards,
Pedro