Re: [fluid-dev] Reverb

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Reverb
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 14:17:17 +0200

On 2010-10-15 12:32, Graham Wykes wrote:
A question rather than a request...

Has any consideration been given to updating the Reverb in FluidSynth.
Freeverb has been around for a long time now.

I've been using Freeverb3 impulser for other projects (my favourite is
actually jconv on Linux) but, as a Miditzer user (on Windows), a more
sophisticated (convolution?) reverb would be immeasurably useful as an
integral part of Fluidsynth/Miditzer. I'm sure that jOrgan users would
much appreciate it as well.

IMHO the sound of the reverb is nearly as important as the quality of
the soundfont in determining how a virtual organ sounds.

I'm really not a reverb expert, and I'm open for suggestions. I would set the following demands of such a change though:

1) It should not be more CPU intensive than the current one
2) It should be LGPL or something compatible with LGPL
3) It should not add a long dependency chain
4) It should be able to work with both single and double precision floating points (can be set at compile time, as the rest of FS)

Perhaps such a change of reverb component could be introduced gradually by a conditional build.

As a side note, today I committed a patch from ticket #89 which, according to the reporter, fixes or improves the reverb sound on sample rates different from 44.1 kHz.

// David