Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI File Events

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI File Events
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 07:28:50 +0100

On 2011-04-26 21:43, Jason Vasquez wrote:
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to fluidsynth, but so far it's been working great.  I'm
building an application at the moment that requires visual processing
of various MIDI events.  For instance, we are currently reading MIDI
events from a keyboard, rendering those visually, and playing them
back via the fluidsynth synthesizer using fluid_event_noteon/noteoff
etc.  This has been working perfectly.

Next up, I need to be able to load up a MIDI file, and perform the
same treatment -- render visually, with accompanying audio synthesis.
I had hoped to use the fluid player + router functionality there, but
from the docs, it looks like it may not work for MIDI file playback.
Is there a way to insert a handler for events generated from  MIDI
file playback?  (For bonus points, I'd love to insert a bit of
userdata in that callback :))

Hi Jason,

I don't think that's currently possible. It shouldn't be too hard to implement though and sounds like a reasonable feature. (That doesn't mean I have the time to do it anytime soon...)

// David