Re: [fluid-dev] Do you provide a non-midi-oriented API?

From: Edmundo Carmona
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Do you provide a non-midi-oriented API?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 22:03:55 -0500

I've decided to take the hard route (build a soundfont synthesizer
from scratch... even if it's not a very good one). I'm checking sf2
files I've seen around and there's a question I have:

On the files I've found, there are many samples in a single file,
however the midi pitch that all samples are pointed to always have a
60 (which is the middle C, right?). The pitch should be used by the
SF2 file builder to say which note each sample is related to. If all
say 60, how can you tell which note a sample really is? Do you analize
the sample to find the frequency and so say tall the note?