Re: [fluid-dev] [ANNOUNCE] FluidSynth 1.1.4 released!

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] [ANNOUNCE] FluidSynth 1.1.4 released!
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 19:38:20 +0200

On Thursday 04 August 2011, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:

> >> Hi all, thanks for releasing 1.1.4. Sorry I did not have time to test
> >> the prerelease tarball you made the other day. I was planning to do
> >> this today.
> >>
> >> Anyhow, I saw in the CMakeLists.txt, a couple lines such as
> >>            ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/${LIB_INSTALL_DIR}${LIB_SUFFIX} )
> >>
> >> Unfortunately this is wrong. The variable ${LIB_INSTALL_DIR} is
> >> already expected to have the lib suffix in it, i.e. it is set to
> >> /usr/lib64 on multilib 64bit systems. This is the cmake standard we
> >> have with hundreds of packages in Fedora.
> >
> > This may be the standard in Fedora, but it is not a CMake standard at all.
> > You can ask in the CMake mailing list, or search for similar questions in
> > the archives, for instance:
> > http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2011-March/043180.html
> >
> > I've adopted the variable name "LIB_INSTALL_DIR" because i'm used to it in
> > my KDE projects, but it is not a standard outside KDE. The FluidSynth's
> > LIB_INSTALL_DIR is a constant defined in cmake_admin/DefaultDirs.cmake,
> > with the value "lib". The other variable LIB_SUFFIX is initialized in the
> > main CMakeLists.txt with the value "64" or empty. You can override the
> > initialization value of these variables in the command line, if you want:
> >
> > $ cmake .. -DLIB_SUFFIX=""
> >
> > This can be easily added to the RPM spec file too. I find this method much
> > more comfortable than applying patches.
> >

> Hi Pedro,
>
> Sure the behavior can be overridden that way. However, when building
> RPMs, there are cmake macros we use that pass all the standard flags
> to all packages that use cmake. I am sure other RPM based
> distributions, or even DEB ones use some sort of standardization in
> cmake flags too.

Here are the options currently used in Debian to build the FluidSynth package:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-multimedia/fluidsynth.git;a=blob;f=debian/rules

( they set LIB_SUFFIX='' )

> I really do believe that what I claimed is a  (maybe unwritten) cmake
> standard,

Google is your friend. Show me evidences.

> since we do not have to do such overrides you suggested for
> any other package (we have a lot of them).

Your LIB_INSTALL_DIR variable is defined in the "%cmake" RPM macro:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=cmake.git;a=blob;f=macros.cmake

> I also adopt this
> convention in my projects where I am the upstream. Of course,
> fluidsynth can be a special case, but does it really have to be?

You can propose/contribute a better way to do this, but please take into
account all other Linux distros and not only Fedora. Some of them are already
using cmake to build FluidSynth.

Arch linux:
http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/fluidsynth/trunk/PKGBUILD

Gentoo:
http://gentoo-portage.com/AJAX/Ebuild/119045/View

Mandriva:
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/fluidsynth/current/SPECS/fluidsynth.spec?view=markup
Mageia:
http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/fluidsynth/current/SPECS/fluidsynth.spec?view=markup

Mandriva and Mageia have also a %cmake RPM macro, not conflicting with
FluidSynth's buildsystem.

openSUSE and SlackWare are still using the auto-tools based build system.

Regards,
Pedro