Re: [fluid-dev] Supported Wave/Flac format other than SF2

From: Garth Hjelte
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Supported Wave/Flac format other than SF2
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 12:09:59 -0800

At 01:40 PM 2/4/2015, you wrote:

>I'd like to look into it, but various links to cakewalk's specifications are
>dead-ending on me.  It's making me wonder just how "open" the format really is.

The reason is that Cakewalk was bought by Roland last year, and recently Gibson
bought them from Roland. They've changed things without thinking about it.

The history of SFZ is that it was developed by a person named Rene who
lives/lived in Tierra Del Fuego. He fully intended to keep it open and
published it with that intent. Cakewalk purchased the technology, and so far
has NEVER attempted to make it proprietary. They did add a "v2.0" set of
parameters but none of that was hidden. The specs for v1.0 are easily available
and that's all we are really concerned about.

As far as how "open" SFZ is, it's open, it's just that Cakewalk never took
steps to manage it. Others have stepped up and offered the management the
format deserve, without having a heavy hand on it. Mostly this is the work of
Plogue, who even wrote an EXCELLENT and FREE SFZ player called Sforzando.
www.plogue.com

SFZ is open and will continue to be open. The text-based ability of it is easy
and user-friendly. Anyone can figure it out, it's even easier than HTML. All it
is essentially is key/value pairs delimited by an equal character.

Garth Hjelte
Sampler User